The worst thing about being a poor boss is that rarely do they realise it. Often poor managers believe their team members and colleagues like them, enjoy working with them and think of them as a great manager.
Managers – Developing a New Perspective
Poor managers or bosses often that find that when they walk into a room the conversation suddenly stops, or people are reluctant to engage with them? Other tell-tale signs might be team members arriving late for meetings and behaving with indifference or even an apparent lack of interest or enthusiasm.
One way of finding out what your team thinks about your management skills, especially if you lead a virtual team or have team members who work remotely is to ask them using a 360-degree feedback tool such as TeamMate360.
The benefits of 360-degree feedback tools such as TeamMate360 include:
- Increasing self-awareness: Managers receive a practical, clear and concise report on skills they excel in and those requiring further development.
- Balanced view: Most 360-degree feedback tools like TeamMate360 provide a rounded and balanced view the manager’s skills and behaviours from multiple perspectives including team members, colleagues, line managers and even customers.
- Leverages strengths: 360-degree assessments can enable managers to further develop skills in areas in which they are already perceived as excelling in thereby capitalising on their strengths.
- Uncovers blind spots: As 360-degree assessment tools involve multi-rater feedback, they enable managers to identify so-called, ‘blind spots’. This enables them to understand the behaviours that they are exhibiting of which they were unaware. Uncovering blinds spots is important for continuous personal development and helps managers to focus on developing their blind spots.
- Development of skills: The most important aspect of 360-degree assessments is that they give individuals a starting point for the development of new skills and behaviours by building on current strengths and developing new skills. The 360-degree process gives them ownership over their own improvement through the creation of customised development plans. They also encourage managers to be more accountable for their personal development and to make changes which people will notice and appreciate.
If you would like to complete a TeamMate360 assessment, contact Anneemail@example.com. To ensure you receive the latest news, views and tools from Exponential Training, subscribe to In the Loop.
To keep up to date, why not subscribe to In the Loop: